Still, It's The TUX

Post news, reviews, questions, pics, riding tips - anything related to the Suzuki TU250X
gcrank1

Re: Still, It's The TUX

Postby gcrank1 » June 11th, 2017, 11:24 am

BTW, I thought somebody might have questioned my saying 'long list' when most say 'short list'?
Sooo many bikes, sooo little time.........
I dont know how many different bikes Ive ridden in my life and working in some shops certainly gave me more opportunities than most get to sample, though most were in the now distant past. They all showed me something to add up to that intangible 'experience thing. Ride stuff when offered, as long as you think you can do it safely, and preferably some slow speed, some higher speed highway and some windy-twisty stuff to feel 'em out.
At one time I had to do The Ton
Now going 'fast with a slow bike' is More Fun
Extra Fine '09 'The Silent Red Fellow'
'81 SR500 'Caff Racer'
'98 Honda Shadow 750 ACE Deluxe

Blimpy

Postby Blimpy » July 26th, 2017, 4:34 pm

I wouldn't walk across the street to help a dying new triumph.

However.. the W-650 second year ( green and cream) ... has long been on my list.
I came "this close" 3 times.. and never bit. silly me.

Doubt I will get another chance..

I cant think of any cogent reason to buy a guzzi.. any guzzi.
or anything else loud and stinky.

If you want stinky, buy a wankel and be done with it !

gcrank1

Postby gcrank1 » July 26th, 2017, 6:35 pm

A Guzzi 'loud and stinky'?????
'81 SR500 'Caff Racer'

TUFan

Postby TUFan » July 27th, 2017, 12:50 pm

I have both a TU and a W650, so can offer some comparisons. They are both bikes with "character". I thought i would sell the TU when I got the W, but it is too much fun and cheap enough to keep. I think where they differ the most is the obvious weight difference, but the W is kind of small and probably most can flat foot it. The engine on the W is an all time favorite of mine. Lots of torque, it will run smooth all the way down to 2k rpm, or less with no lugging, so shifting and planning ahead is optional on backroads, unlike the TU. It pulls all the way through the rev range with a rush that makes it feel faster than it is, if that makes sense ;) You can still find yourself doing full throttle opening on it, like the TU, but not nearly as often, as it will get you over legal limits quickly. It will do the ton on a highway. Hills are no problem, no planning required. You can ride it slow like a cruiser and enjoy the scenery and low rpm, or get a bit sportier and rev it out. Two bikes in one !

Those Guzzis have always been tempting. Another unique character bike. The new V7 III is supposed to be the best. Never rode one, but would like to try one some day. I hear they do prefer the higher revs, 3 to 4 k, and the suspension and seat may be stiff, which seems to be keeping with Italian character.

NJ-brett

Postby NJ-brett » July 27th, 2017, 6:53 pm

The w650 looks to be the best of the general purpose bikes made in the last 10 or so years.
Sure wish they had kept them on the market for a few more years.
Not heavy, enough power, comfortable, just a good basic bike.

gcrank1

Postby gcrank1 » July 27th, 2017, 7:04 pm

I had to make a hurried 32 mi. round trip run late this morning, had the TUX at the 55 (yep, with my upsize front tire it is close enough to 55 to not matter) when I rounded a corner with a couple of guys herding out a loose cow from the ditch and a parked car from the other way with his front end across the centerline.
I was by before it really sunk in that if that cow had bolted across the road just as I was coming into view at least one of us was going to be hamburger.....
So I backed off my 'sense of urgency' a tad and a mile down the road a hen turkey launched across right in front of me with half/grown chicks close on the shoulder ready to break.....hit my front brake and downshifted, let her clear, upshifted and reconsidered my day.
It is a good thing that the TUX isnt a more powerful/faster/quicker package; not for this old guy anyway or I likely would have been pushing harder in both cases. That the case the turkey would have been a mess, maybe the cow thing would have been the same, but who knows???
'81 SR500 'Caff Racer'

NJ-brett

Postby NJ-brett » July 27th, 2017, 7:52 pm

Having had both, I am sure a smaller bike that takes a bit of time to get to high speed involves less risk.

That is different from over riding your sight lines. You never know what might be in the road around that blind turn.
Not much can be done about things darting out into the road, lower speeds help I suppose, but a deer can still kill you at 30 mph.

Glad you made it intact.

gcrank1

Postby gcrank1 » July 27th, 2017, 8:41 pm

I was good with the first guy at the edge of the shoulder 'going my way', and with the second guy in the field inside the fenceline going toward guy 1, and really ok with the car, could have slowed/evaded/stopped for any of them; what got into my head was the glimpse of the cow down in the ditch with the weeds that the two guys were advancing on that could have bolted at any moment into the road. Cow in the ditch munchin' grass, no problem; cow in a pincher movement, could be . Didnt happen so no hit, no run, no error.
Is thought provoking though.
'81 SR500 'Caff Racer'

gcrank1

Postby gcrank1 » August 10th, 2017, 4:23 pm

Now that Ive had a few hundred miles with the 'new' '98 Shadow 750 ACE Deluxe I took the Tux for a good morning run through the the Baraboo bluffs off toward the Merrimac Ferry on the Wisconsin River; lovely country, that, and nice motorcycle roads. To be sure, the ACE was not intended to be a replacement for the TUX and it is not, they both have different character and offer a distinctive ride each.
The flickable TUX was in its element on these roads, no muss. no fuss, just quietly competent and sure footed.
Still the keeper ;) , the ACE is just an indulgence for a while.
'81 SR500 'Caff Racer'

NJ-brett

Postby NJ-brett » August 10th, 2017, 8:32 pm

I would not like the ace, too heavy, too much power.
It may be a great bike but I find those kind of bikes boring.
I love interacting with the bike, shifting, planning for things, running the motor up to the power peak in 3rd and 4th gear at least.
Every time I get a big bike it gets sold in about 5000 miles.
The TU had 20,000 and my sr has over that.
No plans on getting rid of the sr.
Love the XT250 as well, its very fun on the street, even lighter then the TU and even better throttle response.

You really CAN get a great deal on some of the big Japanese bikes.

Return to “General TU250 Discussion”