Low fuel light...

Post news, reviews, questions, pics, riding tips - anything related to the Suzuki TU250X
VinC

Re: Low fuel light...

Postby VinC » June 20th, 2016, 9:48 am

Great info. Thanks for posting.
2012 Suzuki TU250X - Pewter (Mods: Black Frame Covers, Ediors Chrome Mirrors, Puig 0869F Windscreen, LED Headlight, LED Brake Light w/ Flash Relay, 16T Fr. Sprocket)

endeavour23

Postby endeavour23 » June 20th, 2016, 11:16 am

HarrySeaward wrote:Here's my tracking spreadsheet for fill-ups on my TU. <SNiP> Keeping this data helps me decide how quickly I need to find a gas station after my fuel light comes on. It takes some of the anxiety out of the fuel light.

Harry, Thanks for sharing your fuel usage table. What do you use as your full fill mark when you refuel?
`

HarrySeaward

Postby HarrySeaward » June 21st, 2016, 8:08 am

HarrySeaward wrote:usually between 65-80mpg.

By the way, I meant to write "65-80mph" here, but hopefully that was understood.

endeavour23 - I bring it up as high as I can without causing a lot of spillage. So I always try to get it just above the lower part of the filling aperture, if that makes any sense. I realize my numbers can be off due to slight inconsistencies in the fill level each time, plus the fact that I'm on a side kickstand may mean I'm never really filling the tank all the way up. But I try to be as consistent as possible.

Wake

Postby Wake » June 21st, 2016, 4:33 pm

I'm using a smartphone app - Fuelly - to track fill ups. It only takes a few seconds to get location, price paid, amount, odometer reading, and octane - and it automatically tracks mileage over time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HarrySeaward

Postby HarrySeaward » June 22nd, 2016, 10:58 am

I considered using Fuelly. It's great for tracking MPG. However, as far as I know it won't track "miles per tank" or "miles remaining after fuel light illuminates." To me, those are equally important metrics due to the TUX's lack of a fuel gauge. Which is why I decided to create the simple spreadsheet instead of using Fuelly.

qthirteen

Postby qthirteen » May 18th, 2017, 6:58 pm

But why can't you keep driving when in reserve portion of tank without serious loss of power??? Is it the position of fuel pump? Or does it just not have the power to suck up fuel when tank has only three liters left in it?

Anyone ever fixed that problem?

P.S. sometime fuel light comes on and power stags consistent for some time. Eventually though it just starts cutting out. It is soooo annoying when you know you have enough gas to travel close to 90 km with the reserve amount of fuel. But it keeps sputtering out at 50km/h.

gregstudeny

Postby gregstudeny » May 18th, 2017, 10:12 pm

My light comes on at about 130 miles. It starts sputtering around 180 miles. Last time that happened I put exactly 3 gal back in the tank. I ride mostly on the highway above 70mph and often greater than 80mph.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk
2013 Tu250x

qthirteen

Postby qthirteen » May 19th, 2017, 3:52 am

gregstudeny wrote:My light comes on at about 130 miles. It starts sputtering around 180 miles. Last time that happened I put exactly 3 gal back in the tank. I ride mostly on the highway above 70mph and often greater than 80mph.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk

That's great. Means you get just shy of 60mpg and use almost all 12 liters of gas (11.356 liters)

Wish my tu250 could do that. Everytime I fill up around the time fuel light comes on I end up putting just over 2.378 gallons or 9 liters. That means I never touch 1/4 of my gas cause it keeps sputtering on me if I try riding with low fuel light on.

Maybe my fuel pump is not sitting properly in the tank?

bulgar4e

Postby bulgar4e » May 19th, 2017, 8:18 am

qthirteen wrote:Wish my tu250 could do that. Everytime I fill up around the time fuel light comes on I end up putting just over 2.378 gallons or 9 liters. That means I never touch 1/4 of my gas cause it keeps sputtering on me if I try riding with low fuel light on.

Maybe my fuel pump is not sitting properly in the tank?

I had a similar problem with my tu250x for a while. It seems to have resolved itself in my case. I believe at least one forum member had the fuel pump replaced under warranty though.

See this thread for reference: http://tu250riders.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20951

Jedz123

Postby Jedz123 » May 21st, 2017, 6:22 am

VinC wrote:
AndrewTucker23 wrote:If you get parinoid about the light burning out you can always check it. Directly in between on and off on the ignition is what looks like a tiny bullseye. If you turn the key there, the low fuel light will come on to test the bulb. Hats off to Suzuki for thinking of that.

Wow - great tip! A light check key position. Image

Thank you for that!
17 HD XG750A Street-Rod
15 Suzuki Tuxman SCR250
71 Honda CT70
08 Kawasaki ZG1400
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Jl9CmxYQezIJNSR7CXH7g

Return to “General TU250 Discussion”