A brief Oregon I-5 ride

Meet up with local riders, share riding routes, and anything else local
Aircooled

A brief Oregon I-5 ride

Postby Aircooled » September 26th, 2014, 9:20 pm

Unexpected day off led to a (too) hastily planned getaway. I-5S from Salem, stopped at rest areas to stretch and watch the bums work the travelers. Other bikes mostly Harleys traveling in packs, a few BMWs and Gold Wings. Surprisingly no other TUs. Got off at Riddle to take scenic route 39/177 of about 45 miles to Glendale. Too busy concentrating on curves, rocks on road, and looking for directions that I missed most of the scenery. Looks good on paper though. Would probably be great for a bicycle marathon. Fortunately I had a landscape map (1" = 4mi) with me so I finally made it out and back onto I-5N to Canyonville where Arco is 30 cents cheaper than Salem and 7 Feathers has a nice dinner buffet. Heard a bike buzz by headed N, probably a Ninja 250. Plan to head north next day defeated by event apparently scheduled by the weather channel. Rain never did let up. Had to resort to eating, drinking, and gambling(sigh). Cloudy and sunny next day. I-5N to Cottage Grove for covered bridge tour. Easy riding, relaxing. Back on I-5N, windshield, grip heaters, padded bicycle shorts, full face helmet makes everything comfy until the clouds get their act together and start swirling and turning black. I got thoroughly dumped on just before I reached the rest area north of Albany. Gloves and pants soaked, helmet interior wet and would fog up quickly if visor closed. Rain finally let up and sun came out. Remainder of trip with grip heaters on high and steam coming off gloves. TU now ready for its annual wash. I really need a good, cheap rain suit.

lam@turf

Re: A brief Oregon I-5 ride

Postby lam@turf » September 27th, 2014, 8:22 am

I prefer a Roadcrafter but I've heard/read good things about Frogg Toggs.
Physics always wins :twisted:

. . . . so get that helmet cam!

2013 Suzuki TU250XL3
2010 Triumph Bonneville Mag
2009 Suzuki TU250XK9 - KBC Sep 2013 / MAD 25,000+
2001 Honda Rebel CMX - KBC Mar 2010 / MAD 10,000+

ImageRIP 9/19/13ImageImage

Aircooled

Postby Aircooled » September 28th, 2014, 9:08 am

I'll give them a look. Thanks for the advice.

Aircooled

Postby Aircooled » November 21st, 2015, 11:05 am

Part2:

From Canyonville 7 Feathers (after Country BBQ buffet previous night) head E to Tiller then S to Trail. Be careful of logging trucks and steep drop offs. Left onto 62 until it turns off for Crater Lake and then follow 230 toward Diamond Lake. Snow on ground above about 3300', road clear except for some gravel/cinders remaining from previous night. Follow 138 W to Glide. Now this is the new part I just found. After Glide take the right turn to Wilbur (Rt 200?). Hills, curves, great overlooks of North Umqua River, little traffic. Now that was fun. Glide to Wilbur, WRITE THAT DOWN. Make right at stop sign in Wilbur to eventually join I-5 at Sutherlin for return to Salem.

gcrank1

Postby gcrank1 » November 21st, 2015, 11:20 am

Ridin', eatin' and steaming gloves.....priceless! ;)
At one time I had to do The Ton
Now going 'fast with a slow bike' is More Fun
Extra Fine '09 'The Silent Red Fellow'
'81 SR500 'Caff Racer'
'98 Honda Shadow 750 ACE Deluxe

Aircooled

Postby Aircooled » April 9th, 2016, 11:13 am

Part3

I wanted to add a little more about the Canyonville-Trail route from my recent return visit.

On this trip to Canyonville I took the road from Canyonville to Trail. At Trail you can decide to turn left toward Crater Lake and/or Diamond Lake, right to catch I-5, or just turn around because the ride from Trail to Canyonville is that good. Snow still on sides of road above 3500', Diamond Lake still frozen after 8' of snow over winter, overlooks and rest areas unplowed, Crater Lake rim drive still closed.

This was a perfect time of year to catch the spring blooms. After leaving Canyonville the road is rarely straight for long as it slowly ascends through the incredibly beautiful valley until you reach Tiller. Then it gets good, really good. This is a lightly traveled road, but the maintenance crews do a fine job of keeping the road clean and smooth. Although the mountains are constantly trying to push the roads off their sides, the maintenance crews battle back as though most of them ride motorcycles themselves. Like I said, once you reach Trail, it's decision time. I wouldn't return on that road after dark. And what goes with the cattle sign at the top?

As an extra incentive for vets to stay at 7 Feathers, vets receive $10 free slot play and $5 dining credit the first Tuesday of every month. Coincidentally I was there Apr 5 to take advantage of this. What a great time of year to ride.

MagyarMan

Postby MagyarMan » April 9th, 2016, 12:34 pm

I have Frogg Toggs ,there OK. I also have a tall wide windshield and that really helps. If you threw in leg shields and hand guards , you'd stay pretty dry. I had a old BMW R50/2 with a similar setup and the horizontal cylinders kept my feet mostly dry. I like these shields but they are priced as if they were made of gold.
leg shields.jpg
leg shields.jpg (25.95 KiB) Viewed 16542 times

gcrank1

Postby gcrank1 » April 9th, 2016, 1:02 pm

Ya know.....with a couple of old skateboards to make legshields......
At one time I had to do The Ton
Now going 'fast with a slow bike' is More Fun
Extra Fine '09 'The Silent Red Fellow'
'81 SR500 'Caff Racer'
'98 Honda Shadow 750 ACE Deluxe

Norads

Postby Norads » October 18th, 2016, 7:44 pm

I just completed the Canyonville loop described by Air cool then returning to Reeds port. strongly recommend for anyone in the area.

Return to “Northwest US”